Sunday, 29 June 2008

Green Thumb Sunday - All Things Allium


This week seems to be a beautiful but smelly one! Alliums include garlic, onions, chives and shallots which have some of the prettiest flowers and seed heads in the garden. This year Mum has a bumper crop of chives and they are flowering like billy-o :)
She had the ornamental alliums last year and this year only 2 have produced flowerheads but oh my gosh - what flowerheads they are - at least the size of a football (soccerball) if not bigger! I couldn't take a macro shot if I tried - they are that big!

And somewhere in my garden photo trips this year, I have also shot some self seeded garlic - at least I think they are - they smelt divine in the dappled shade after I'd brushed past them which is what made me notice them. I remember clearing some longer grass away to get the photo so I must have missed them on the first walk by. The ornamental allium is now hanging up to dry so I will shoot that later - I think it will make a wonderful abstract especially if I just focus on one seed pod.
The second photo in the previous post is also this allium - I managed to get the macro lens right in between the flower spikes and just focused on the ball at the centre - I like it :)

5 comments:

Claire said...

I love love these :)

My mum uses alliums in flower arranging and they look fantastic.

Aiyana said...

Lovely photos. I forget that some veggies and herbs can have beautiful flowers since I don't grow many. Thanks for reminding me how common plants are really beautiful.
Aiyana

MakeTraffic said...

Hi, I'm looking to build up my links for my blog, Project Heavy Traffic.
Would you like to exchange links with me?
Please visit: http://projectheavytraffic.blogspot.com
and leave your blog URL. I'll reciprocate by linking to your blog. Thanks.

Sarah McBride said...

I love allium. they are beautiful. I love your pictures. really captures the beauty of those flowers

photo stock said...

I found one photography search engine with all kind of search features.
Here you can quickly find many different kinds of images.
You can check it out at
xcavator.net